St8rk Reality.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Tempted (by the car of another)

It was like a scene from The Omega Man (or 28 Days Later depending on your age).

The Big City streets were deathly quiet. Only the ocassional discarded newspaper fluttering down the empty streets interupted the silence.

I was completely alone.

It was dawn and the city was still asleep. The last time I walked the streets at this ungodly hour, I was coming home from a party and desperately searching for a 24-hour kebab house.

This morning, I was unreasonably sober and on my way to work.

Suddenly, the silence was shattered.

A brand spanking new Mini Cooper screeched to a halt 10ft in front of me.
The driver got out, slammed the door behind him and ran off clutching a bundle of newspapers. He hadn't seen me. He didn't lock the car's doors. I could see he was running in the direction of a nearby evil burger chain
outlet.

It would take him at least two minutes to make his drop-off and return to the unlocked car. Then it hit me. TEMPTATION. Or should that be TEMP-TA-TION (higher and higher!)

I could easily slip into the driver's side and steal the car. It was obvious the driver had left the keys in the ignition. He must have assumed no-one in their right mind would be out of their beds at this time. The car would be
safe.

A hundred thoughts ran through my mind. I wouldn't have to steal the car outright, just jump in and drive a couple of hudred yards, get out, and be on my way. It would certainly teach him a lesson.

I have to admit to you, I came dangerously close. It was almost too good an opportunity to miss. Car thieves and ne'er do wells across the country would give their benfit cheques for an opportunity such as this.

But me? I'm a good boy. But with bad thoughts.

Instead, the only dangerous thing I did was buy a bacon roll and a cup of tea, thus breaking my "the bad food ends here" rule on Day One.

1 Comments:

  • Interesting to know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home