St8rk Reality.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

fishy tales

I'm back to spending an hour every morning behind my jalopy, cursing and gesticulating wildly at BMW drivers, so forgive my foul mood.

Today, I went to the fishmongers. I was on a mission from cod (ooh, that was below the belt, sorry!)

I like the fishmongers and I prepare well for my visit, packing a cooler bag with ice packs. Well, my 'catch' has to lurk about my car boot for five hours before it finds my fridge.

I am quite conservative when it comes to buying fish. Although I love all seafood and will try almost anything, I'm a creature of habit when it come to buying our seafaring friends. Haddock, salmon, mackerel and sea bass are as adventurous as I got today.

I'm also a 'pointer' rather than a 'handler' unlike the Chinese couple who were handling every fish, closely smelling them and generally picking them up with the confidence of Captain Bird's Eye. At one point I thought they might start juggling with the squid - it wouldn't have looked out of plaice (oh, there I go again!)

A visit to the fishmongers does, however, make me feel like a proper 'foodie' - no Tesco pretend fish counter for me. I am truly a connoisseur of fine comestibles.

Anyway, less writey, more cookey, I'm making dinner tonight. It's chicken.

Regards

Rick Stein

2 Comments:

  • Are you a man who likes shellfish? They're pretty rare in my experience, so just curious.

    By Blogger f:lux, at 2:36 pm  

  • I do, I love shellfish. Anything to grow extra mussels!

    By Blogger St8rk, at 9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home