St8rk Reality.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Evil That Men Do

I did it.

I found a long-forgotten crumb of courage lurking deep inside me and did it. I told my neighbour I didn't want a lift. "Thanks, but it's a lovely morning and I'm enjoying the fresh air. I appreciate the offer, though," I said and continued on my merry way.

A weight had lifted from my broad, athletic shoulders (what??!) and I found a new spring in my step. This lasted for about thirty seconds before I began to feel like a spoiled, ungrateful, shit.

I imagined my friendly neighbour continuing her drive to work in floods of tears, feelings of rejection overwhelming her. Spurned by someone she regarded as a friend, she would never stop and offer again.

You think I'm being silly?

Yesterday morning, just as I was leaving the park and heading into the metropolis, I once again spotted my friendly neighbour approaching in her car. I noticed the rear brake lights light up as the car slowed down. "Here we go again" I thought, steeling myself for another rebuff (well it was another nice morning and I really needed the exercise - beer and takeaway food were planned).

But the car didn't stop. The brake lights fizzled away and the car disappeared into the horizon. SHE HAD SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT STOPPING! I have ruined everything.

I am truly a BAD MAN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home